When you have a family with lots of food restrictions, you have to get a little creative. It’s taken a few years to get into the swing of it, but I think we can confidently say that we’ve acclimated to eating completely dairy, peanut, lentil, tree nut, seed and gluten free. The only allergen we allow into our house is gluten because we’ve learned to avoid cross-contact to keep me (Holly) safe.
When people hear about our diet, the first thing they say is “Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry – what do you eat?” Our response – “Well!”
Living with food allergies has forced us to eat as much fresh food as possible and many of our meals are close to being vegan, aside from the fact we use bacon liberally to give little dude some protein and fat. This meal we made the other night is not only completely vegan, it was so easy and delicious that I wanted to share.
Please keep in mind all measurements are approximate because we tend to just make up recipes as we go.
This recipe can be made in less than twenty minutes and leaves plenty for leftovers! The first step is to start with our homemade hummus.
Hummus is a staple in our house and we make it fresh almost every day. Because little dude is allergic to sesame seed we make it without tahini, but I can assure you that it’s not short on taste!
- Two cups of chickpeas, drained
- Juice of a whole lemon
- ½ cup of olive oil
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- Pinch of salt
- Throw in a blender and blend until smooth
The next step is to combine it all in a veggie wrap!
Veggie Hummus Wraps
- Two (2) to three (3) bell peppers
- One (1) can of corn kernels
- One (1) cucumber
- One (1) head of lettuce. Our favorite is buttercrunch!
- Wash bell peppers and remove seeds
- Slice bell peppers into ½ inch slices
- Sear peppers in a large skillet
- Remove from skillet and set aside
- Drain liquid from corn can
- Sear corn kernels. We do this separately from the bell peppers because they cook at different rates.
- Slice cucumber length-wise to create long slices
- Wash lettuce and pat dry
- Peel a piece of lettuce from the head and place on a plate
- Place a scoop of hummus on top of the lettuce and top with the bell peppers, corn and a slice of cucumber.